MGSA Fastpitch News
Check here frequently for the latest information of interest to all fastpitch players and families.
SPRING TRYOUT INFORMATION
8U optional, mandatory for top team 3/14 only.
10U & 12U NEW THIS YEAR - Mandatory 2-days of tryouts 3/14 & 3/21.
Additional details below under tryout & team formation.
March 14, 2021 Tryout Date #1 @ Tonka Dome
*Groups will be assigned 1 week prior to tryouts. Players must be registered by March 6th to be elligible for tryouts.
8U, 10U, & 12U
7:30am-9:00am 8U All (Groups 1-4)
7:30am-10:00am 10U Pitchers/Catchers Groups 5-6
8:30am-10:00am 10U Utility Groups 7-8
8:30am-11:00am 10U Pitchers/Catchers Groups 9-10
9:30am-11:00am 10U Utility Groups 11-12
9:30am-12:00pm 12U Pitchers/Catchers Groups 13-14
10:30am-12:00pm 12U Utility Groups 15-16
10:30am-1:00pm 12U Pitchers/Catchers Groups 17-18
11:30am-1:00pm 12U Utility Groups 19-20
March 21st Tryout Date #2 @ Tonka Dome
*Groups will be assigned following tryout date #1.
10U & 12U
5:00pm-7:00pm 10U Group 21
6:30pm-8:30pm 10U Group 22 & Group 23
8:00pm-10:00pm 12U All (Groups 24-25)
Back again for Spring 2021 is the option of playing in a machine-pitch travel league. This is for girls with birth years of 2012 and 2013. See the 8U page for more details. There ARE tryouts for the top 8U spring team. See below for optional tryouts and team formation details.
10U and 12U Fastpitch
10U and 12U are developmental leagues, and it is our desire to maximize the playing experience for every athlete in our association. Players should be afforded the opportunity to play at a variety of positions. The MN Softball Big West, of which MGSA is a member, has thriving leagues at all levels of competitive play. Tryouts are required for the 10U & 12U levels. See below for tryouts and team formation details.
14U, 16U, 18U Fastpitch
Please visit our MN Whirl page for more information. 14U/16U/18U teams are only formed in the fall.
Player Age Restrictions
MGSA does not support playing up to the next age level. A player's age on January 1 of the current year determines the age classification at which that player is eligible to participate.
For Spring 2021:
Players with birth years of 2008 and 2009 will play 12U Fastpitch
Players with birth years of 2010 and 20011 will play 10U Fastpitch
Players with birth years of 2012 and 2013 will play 8U Fastpitch
*Players who play within their correct age level will be given precedence over any player wishing to play up. If an age division has enough players to fulfill all roster spots, the Fastpitch Committee will not consider any players wishing to play up. We encourage families to consider the benefits of staying within the correct age group. If numbers prove that we need players from younger age groups to play up, the committee will review tryout results and contact parents of those players.
Articles on the benefits of keeping your child playing at her age level.
USA Hockey Magazine: The Pros and Pitfalls of Playing Up
Youthletic: The Benefits of Playing Up
Who Can Play Tonka Fastpitch?
Age levels at and below 12U are not open divisions. If your daughter attends school or lives in the Minnetonka School District, she is eligible to play for Tonka Fastpitch. A player from another community will be able to play for Tonka if she receives a waiver from her current association. This exception must be communicated and agreed upon by both associations. If all conditions are met, the player can play for Tonka, but will not be eligible to make an A team until she has completed one spring/summer season with Tonka Fastpitch.
Our goal is to provide a tryout environment that is fair to all players and allows them to demonstrate their abilities to a group of well-qualified, independent evaluators. Our evaluators have significant fastpitch experience, particularly with tryouts, and are vetted by the MGSA Fastpitch Committee.
The tryout drills and situations are predetermined and are intended to demonstrate specific skills and game sense that the evaluators translate to a point scale.
All tryout data is kept confidential and is not shared outside of the Fastpitch Committee.
Once fastpitch teams are formed, decisions are final, rosters will be created and shared on the MGSA website, and an email will be sent notifying you of team placement.
10U/12U Fastpitch Tryouts & Team Formation
Tryouts will be conducted over 2 days: Sunday, March 14 and Sunday, March 21. This year, both days are mandatory to attend. Tryout groups for day 1 will be randomly selected and posted 1 week prior to tryouts; day 2 tryout groups will be posted following day 1 tryout results. Your tryout time will depend on your group assignment but will be sometime between 7:30am-1pm March 14 and 5pm-10pm on March 21.
All 10U/12U Fastpitch players must participate in tryouts. If for some reason your player is not able to make either of the tryout sessions, she is no longer eligible to make an A level team. If you have an unavoidable conflict with one or both tryout dates, or in the event of injury or illness, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
MGSA strives to have rosters of 11 players on all 10U/12U teams. To ensure the maximum number of registered players can be placed on a team, we strive to place a maximum of 12 players and a minimum of 10 players on a team, although we will make every effort to place all registered players. In the event we have to limit the number of teams due to insufficient players, team roster decisions will be based on player try-out scores, with no guarantee of placement on a team. Any player who registered AFTER the registration deadline will not be allowed to take a place of a player who registered prior to the deadline.
- The goal in forming teams is to maximize the growth of all players by placing like-skilled players together.
- The Fastpitch Committee will strive to form one A team at each level (10U and 12U) based on tryouts and evaluation data.
- A level teams will receive a minimum of the top two pitchers and top two catchers in their age group and must play in the highest division for league play.
- All 10U and 12U players not placed on an A team will be placed on B or C level teams, as appropriate, based on tryouts and evaluation data.
- 10U and 12U must choose to tryout as a utility player or positional player (pitcher and/or catcher). However, if a player wants any guaranteed time as a pitcher and/or catcher on her team, she must be placed on a team based on her positional player score. In other words, if your daughter wants to pitch and/or catch, she must be evaluated and be placed on a team according to her pitching and/or catching score. Although a player can choose to tryout as a positional player and also elect to check the box on the tryout registration form to be placed on the highest team possible no matter her positional score, if she is placed based on her utility score she will not be guaranteed any time to pitch or catch. The Fastpitch Committee therefore strongly encourages all pitchers and catchers to focus on developing these important positional skills and selecting to be placed accordingly.
- The Fastpitch Committee will determine teams and positional player placement based on tryout and evaluation data, and pitcher/catcher needs for all teams.
8U Fastpitch Tryouts
At 8U, our goal is to provide an opportunity to develop the basic skills and love of the game. We provide an optional tryout at 8U for those players who desire the opportunity and/or have the demonstrated ability to play on a higher-level A team. 8U tryouts will be conducted on 1 day: Sunday, March 14th from 7:30am-9:00am.
8U players who want to try out for the A team must participate in tryouts. Tryouts and eligibility for the A team are open to both first year and second year 8U players. If a player makes the A team, the A team placement supersedes any friend request. If for some reason your player is not able to make the tryout session, she is not eligible to make the A level team this season.
- The Fastpitch Committee will strive to form one A team at the 8U level based on tryouts and evaluation data. This team will be formed first.
- All remaining girls will be placed on equal teams based on the below criteria, in order:
- Friend/Coach Request
- Age (1st year / 2nd year)
- Registration Date (the earlier your register, the better the chance that your requests will be taken into consideration)
All 8U/10U/12U Faspitch players will receive a uniform shirt and socks that are included in your registration fee.
All players are expected to provide their own black softball pants.
· Black Softball Pants
· Fielder's Mask - MGSA requires the use of fielder's mask at all infielding & outfielding positions for 8U-12U.
· Batting Helmet with facemask and chinstrap (we request that all new batting helmets be purchased in either blue, black, white, or silver)
o Fastpitch players are required to provide their own helmet. Note that it must have a facemask stamped with approval from "NOCSAE" and also have a chinstrap to be legal in fastpitch league games and tournaments.
o RIP-IT Vision Pro featuring Blackout Technology
· Batting gloves*
- The only bats allowed for use in USA Softball, Minnesota Softball, Big West, and Tri County are ASA or USA Softball stamped bats. These bats are also approved by MSHSL and NCAA.
· Sliding Shorts (to be worn under softball pants)
· Sliding Sleeve
· Cleats (Rubber cleats for 8U, 10U, 12U)
*Due to Covid-19, either batting gloves OR bat are REQUIRED.