MGSA Fastpitch News
Check here frequently for the latest information of interest to all fastpitch players and families.
Tonka Fastpitch Fall tryouts & programs:
- We will be offering the 12U Selects program again, AND will be adding 10U Selects commencing August 2022. Players will try out at fall ball tryouts, July 26-27th, as previously communicated.
- Registration for fall ball (including Selects) will open June 20th.
- In-Person Parent/Player Informational Meetings @ Legacy Fields turf next week conducted by Kelly & Kristine for the following:
- BIRTH YEARS 2012 & 2013 10U SELECTS: Monday 6/20 7:30pm-8:00pm
- BIRTH YEAR 2011 12U SELECTS: Monday 6/20 8:00-8:30pm
- BIRTH YEAR 2010 12U SELECTS: Tuesday 6/21 7:45-8:15pm
- BIRTH YEAR 2009 13U/14U CLUB: Tuesday 6/21 8:15-8:45pm
- Updated information for Fall Ball all levels & Selects will be posted to the website on or before June 20th.
Fall Tryout Process
All evaluations and scoring are done by independent evaluators @ WHIRL. Results are then sent to the fastpitch committee for team formation based on the scores and selections on the tryout forms. Fastpitch tryouts consist of the following evaluations:
Day 1 (10U, 12U):
Bunting (10U & 12U only)
Pitchers Only: Pitching
Catchers Only: Catching
Day 2 (10U & 12U):
Player Age Restrictions
MGSA does not support playing up to the next age level. A player's age on January 1 of the current year determines the age classification at which that player is eligible to participate.
For Fall 2022-Spring 2023:
Players with birth years of 2010 and 2011 will play 12U Fastpitch
Players with birth years of 2012 and 2013 will play 10U Fastpitch
Players with birth years of 2014 and 2015 will play 8U Fastpitch
Players with birth years of 2016 and 2017 will play 6U Fastpitch
*Players who play within their correct age level will be given precedence over any player wishing to play up. If an age division has enough players to fulfill all roster spots, the Fastpitch Committee will not consider any players wishing to play up. We encourage families to consider the benefits of staying within the correct age group. If numbers prove that we need players from younger age groups to play up, the committee will review tryout results and contact parents of those players.
Articles on the benefits of keeping your child playing at her age level.
USA Hockey Magazine: The Pros and Pitfalls of Playing Up
Youthletic: The Benefits of Playing Up
Who Can Play Tonka Fastpitch?
Age levels at and below 12U are not open divisions. If your daughter attends school or lives in the Minnetonka School District, she is eligible to play for Tonka Fastpitch. A player from another community will be able to play for Tonka if she receives a waiver from her current association. This exception must be communicated and agreed upon by both associations. If all conditions are met, the player can play for Tonka, but will not be eligible to make an A team until she has completed one spring/summer season with Tonka Fastpitch.
· Black Softball Pants required 8U-12U. They are optional, but highly recommended for 6U.
· Fielder's Mask - MGSA requires the use of fielder's mask at all infielding & outfielding positions for 8U-12U. It is optional, but highly recommended for 6U.
· Batting Helmet with facemask and chinstrap (we request that all new batting helmets be purchased in either blue, black, white, or silver)
o Fastpitch players are required to provide their own helmet. Note that it must have a facemask stamped with approval from "NOCSAE" and also have a chinstrap to be legal in fastpitch league games and tournaments.
o RIP-IT Vision Pro featuring Blackout Technology
· Batting gloves*
- The only bats allowed for use in USA Softball, Minnesota Softball, Big West, and Tri County are ASA or USA Softball stamped bats. These bats are also approved by MSHSL and NCAA.
· Sliding Shorts (to be worn under softball pants)
· Sliding Sleeve
· Cleats (Rubber cleats for 6U, 8U, 10U, 12U)